Thursday, December 22, 2011

Forming Clay at Potteria

Our first field trip this year took us to a pottery store called Potteria.  This art field trip, with the art teacher Mr. Reynolds, was one of my favorite field trips in all my years of teaching.  Not only were the kids able to use a block of clay to form whatever we wanted, they were also able to use a potter's wheel to create a bowl.    Since there was one extra potter's wheel I was able to make a bowl too.  It was hard!  If you don't put your hands in the exact place they need to be your bowl will be lopsided or too thin or completely destroyed.  While my bowl turned out rather well for my first attempt, it was still flawed.  

Looking back on our experience I can't help but think about the passage in the Bible that talks about God being the potter while we are the clay. Before God uses His hand to mold us into the "bowl" we are meant to be we are just a lump of clay waiting to be formed.  Once we've come to the potter's wheel (through salvation) God begins to shape us into the form He intends us to be.  Along the way we show our flaws, but God works on smoothing them out and continuing to shape us into our ultimate form...into the form He always knew we would become.  A "bowl" that focuses on bring glory, honor, and praise to God.

I'm SO thankful I'm not the potter.  No matter how hard I try I will NEVER be able to create something perfect.  It's only through God's hands we are transformed into who He wants us to be.  Even though we are stubborn sometimes (like clay can be), we need to submit to God's ways and understand that He is the one who knows what is best for us.

Isaiah 64:8 says, "But now, O LORD, You are our Father, We are the clay, and You are our potter; And all of us are the work of your hand."

Ready to Go!





Working on our Bowls

Making our Unique Creations

The Group

Notice the "Big Kid" in the far right corner :)


No comments:

Post a Comment